Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Wk4 Leadership Project Blog Post: Leadership Role Model Reflection:

Wk4 Leadership Project Blog Post: Leadership Role Model Reflection:


This is most difficult for me to answer.  If I am truthful and say that there is no one nor organization that I look up to or admire then I could be accused of all sorts of things including some sort of complex and if I make up something then I will accuse myself of trying to fit in. I like the quote 'to thine own self be true' (not sure where it comes from).  I will choose the latter.  I look up to no one, but I do have respect and admiration for others.


One such person is the Rev Al Sharpton, he is a leader to some while despised by countless others. Now, I must admit that I know very little about the man, save what I've heard and read in the media and I used to listen to him on talk radio whenever he was a guest. 


I first admire his tenacity and his courage to do what he does.  In spite of and despite being despised by so many, when he is called upon to step in and help to get justice for disenfranchised Americans, he goes. He can be accused of being many things which of course he may or may not be, but he goes and does the 'job' he's called upon to do.  Has he made mistakes? Public mistakes? Step forward and throw the first stone, the man or woman who can say, "I have never made a mistake".  


Next, argue with him about being loud, obnoxious, about his politics, but I have long since admired articulate and intelligent men.  I happen to believe he argues the courage of his convictions and I strive to be one that does the same.  I don't care much for current threads or fads, I believe in what I believe is right and I want to stand for that no matter the odds against me.   I admire Rev Sharpton because of that.


There are countless others who admire him and who believes he can get some form of justice where before they were not getting any.  i admire that he has the ability to do that for families or at least that there are people out there who believe that him and his organization can do for them what was not being done.


I have great admiration for the people whose names we don't know but they give to others in so many ways. I would like to be one of them.  I have often dreamt of giving of myself in service to others, but I would like to see how those individual lives are transformed based on the things i (and others) do for them. 


I have looked into so many opportunities to volunteer, mentor and haven't followed through a number of them.  I like to be instantly gratified even though I realize that life does not work that way.  Things rarely happen overnight, it takes time and that time is a process.  That is why I know and I understand that we all are a work in progress but although I know these things, still I can become very impatient at times.


Dreaming a little... my dream job would have something to do with psychology or counseling as I feel that is where I can have the greatest impact.  I believe I have gained a lot of needed skills to tackle such a job not only from studying psychology in undergrad, but the hands on experience of being an educator has taught me insight and skills that I could not have gained from anywhere else.  There are times when I have felt disillusioned and at other times so hopeful because I felt that I had made a small crack.  Now if I were a psychologist/counselor how much bigger could I make that 
crack.





Dream workspace

2 comments:

  1. Interesting reflection. Rev. Sharpton definitely isn't one to shy away from controversy, especially in pursuit of justice for the disenfranchised.

    ReplyDelete